Sunday, March 23, 2014

March blues...

I've been entertaining myself by knitting a lot of swatches on the Passap, supposedly for spring tops. Yeah, a whole lot of swatches that turned out to be perfect for summer clothes or for borders or even accessories, but nothing that turned into an idea for a top. I really should stop fooling around and concentrate on knitting myself a few light sweaters. Yeah, right after I try a few summer fair isle patterns and continue to try to find a way to do corrugated rib on the machine... ;-)

Meanwhile, I'm still hand knitting socks.

To be absolutely truthful, when I'm in front of the sock yarn wall at my LYS, my choices are only dictated by the colour combinations that make me giddy. Last time, I went in to buy more circular  needles ( you can never have too many in the different lengths and sizes you use most) and came out with sock yarn. As always, I was so impressed with the sheer amount of yarn, by all those possibilities, that the knitting needles completely slipped my mind... Well, now I have to go back for needles and you know where I'm going with this, more yarn will more than probably come home with me. Listen, I only have enough self-striping yarn left for three measly pairs and very little self-control!!!

The holy grail of sock knitting is the perfect heel! After trying a whole lot of different ways of turning a heel during my rather long knitting life, I've come to the conclusion that, for me, there are a few non negotiable points that the best heel has to meet. First and foremost, it has to fit perfectly! Then, it has to be quick and easy to knit, not have any holes or uncomfortable bumps and look good!

After turning, unravelling, starting and frogging a lot of heels, trying many unsatisfactory, partly satisfactory and a few satisfactory but fiddly techniques, I now have a new favourite!

It's the Lifestyle Toe up socks' no-wrap, no-muss, no-fuss short row heel. There's a Youtube video that explains it perfectly.






It's really hard to take a picture of your own heel...

These are the latest socks that came off my needles. The yarn is Hot Socks New Jacquard.


I seem to be in a blue mood, I even unearthed a blue WIP that had been lingering in limbo for too long and started working on it! Again!



It's a modified version of the Peacock eyes cardigan that I vow to finish, once and for all!!!







6 comments:

  1. I am so in a blue mood too ! If I were wealthy I'd be hoarding varigated blues in Malabrigo and Madelintosh sock yarns ! (wait, I already have in Malabrigo (Impressionist Sky and Azul de Cote ... and want more (for moi's own Penny Candy Tee perhaps? ;)

    Oh, by the way, as you are having swatch fever (( hint hint)) ... get ready to do a springy-summery PCT (Penny Candy Tee) in perhaps those lovely sock yarns on your sock wall? If they're 100 g skeins, 1 each in four colors would give you enough for a tee AND Penny Candy socks to go with ! If they are 50 g skeins... you might be fine still with 1 each.

    Clue : I have found that if you don't want bold in-your-face stripes, but a shy hint of them, it really is nice to melt them into each other by using two colors with a subtle difference (like med blue and darker-medium blue ) and then something again alltogether different for the lace work.... and that accent outline of the lace too... that's four colors... Can you do it? Penny Candy Tee uses 4 colors if you want to do it as spec'd... but you know, the mods are always fun. You'll be getting 6 stitches and 8 rounds to the inch by the way (on US 6, or size to get gauge). There's your headstart Raymonde :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the heads up Jen! I'm so happy to know how much yarn I need to knit the Penny Candy Tee. I'll be heading to my LYS this week.
    I want bold in-your-face stripes for one Penny Candy Tee and more subtle tones for another!
    Yes, I like your pattern that much!!!
    The only mod I plan on doing is to knit longer sleeves (just above my elbows), because that's the length that keeps me warm on those windy spring days, without getting too hot. :-)
    I can't wait to get starting!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, hand knit socks! And I think Passap swatches are addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what beautiful work you do! Your hand knitting is perfect. Sweet socks too!

    ReplyDelete