Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A little crochet, a lot of moving furniture around...

Hi! I know I haven't been posting much... It's just that this is the time of the year where I get swamped in all my canning and go outside to look at the leaves!

It's also the time of the year that reminds me that very soon I'll be spending a lot of time inside, sooooo, I start to move furniture around, to make curtains, to nest! Every year it's the same thing, I just need to change my surroundings before winter settles in.

This time, I decided to finally take care of the basement. It's a beautiful space but I never quite knew what to do with it. It always bothered me to be wasting so much square footage but I never had a clear idea of what it could become. There were a few pieces of furniture, but no clear purpose...


Well, after a lot of measuring and planning (and spending time on Pinterest), I decided to move my office and all the books (well most of them anyway) there and to turn it into a cosy library!!!



This wall will be getting bookshelves. I've already moved the couch  at the other end of the room.


That was a couple of years ago when some of the yarn was downstairs. Those shelves are now filled with books.


Since my office was in the attic with the knitting machines, I also have to move some stuff around upstairs...

Here comes the tricky part, for my plan to work, I need new bookshelves, similar to those in the picture above, but my handyman isn't available!!!

I don't feel like waiting around for months! I'll just have to make them myself!
Stay tuned to see how it all turns out...

Since lugging furniture from the basement to the attic is hard work, I have to relax my muscles. This is what came out of this down time, I made a few crochet hats!






I just made them up as I was going. They're really thick and warm, perfect for the kind of winters we get around here.

I'm also making linen curtains for the basement. The linen I chose is beautiful but the weave is very loose, so it's hard to work with. I'm hoping the results will be worth all the aggravation!

Now, if I can only get a couple of strong men to move a few big, heavy pieces of furniture up and down three flights of stairs, I'll really be able to rearrange everything! Wish me luck! ;-)





2 comments:

  1. your new space looks amazing, i hope you get the bookcases made you need, good luck! such cute hats too, i love the yellow one with the tassle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lori Ann and congratulations on the great photos of your trips to Africa and Alaska! You really have an eye for capturing the beauty of a place!

    ReplyDelete