Thursday, April 26, 2012

Machine knitting a cape!

Many years ago, I machine knit myself a wonderfully comfy cape that I wore to death! It was chenille, soft, warm and I loved it!!! I got compliments (from the most unlikely people like bikers and punks...) every time I wore it! But, sadly, years of intensive wear left their toll... It started to look really tired, to droop and pill...

Since I never found enough chenille to make another identical cape, I had to use another pattern and another fiber.

I had already made a few of these capes for friends, but this one's for me!!!

It's made on the Passap using AX /AX   and pushers on both beds (pattern no 31 in one of the old blue pattern books), alternating purple and green every two rows, which makes it reversible with a different color on each side! You don't even need a Deco!



It's just a big rectangle that's split in the middle front. Since it's an extremely stretchy pattern, using the width of the Passap makes it wide enough for anyone, so there's no need for seaming! I made mine extra long because I'm tall and because it's warmer that way... It's all about comfort!!!




The only tricky part, is remembering exactly where your pushers are when you separate the knit in front. You need to write everything down, so that you will be able to continue the second front side with exactly the right pusher arrangement and the right color.


I chose to make a round neck opening but it really isn't necessary. The cape still fits perfectly on the shoulders without it.




A cape is so easy, it fits over anything, it's warm and it looks quite dashing! At least I like to believe it does...  ;-)




10 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Do you think this would work on a Japanese machine? Did you design it yourself or did you design it? Its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Phil!!!
    I don't know if this would work on a Japanese machine, it would be great to try!!! I only own a bulky Japanese machine that's too basic for me to try it myself... I got the idea from a knit cape I saw in an Italian magazine and I found the right stitch pattern in one of the Passap stitch books. The shape is so simple that finding a stitch that's stretchy enough is all you really need. Of course a reversible bi-color stitch is a bonus! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could also make two rectangles in any stitch pattern you like and seam them together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous cape/ruana. I love it, an excellent alternative to plating (for those want to use their Japanese plating thingy!

    And I see you don't post in Ravelry very often, so I'm letting you know I've linked your project and blog notes in our MKAL from model books or the little books you have used. You may find it's been cloned, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be very happy to inspire someone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knit one big square (or rectangle depending on the length you want your cape to be) over the whole bed, then I put half the needles on hold (taking care to write down exactly how the pushers are positioned and what color I just knit). Row counter at zero. I knit over the remaining half of the needles for the same number of rows as for the back and I cast off. After that, I put the needles that were on hold back to work, turn the row counter back to zero, check that the pushers are in the right position and that I'm starting with the right color and knit for the same number of rows as the other front part. Voilà! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I wrote this without thinking! You have to knit MORE rows for the two front parts to compensate for your shoulders. 4 or 5 inches longer should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've posted a better explanation! I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colors, I just love capes and shawls and wear them almost everyday. But I have to say, machine knitting looks daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kristen! You know, machine knitting is just another set of techniques to learn, it isn't all that complicated.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete